We understand the importance of making sound financial decisions with regard to your retirement and it is our desire to help you with the process. However, due to the changes in legislation in recent years concerning retirement and due to the increasing number of employees who retire each year, we do not have the staff to counsel each individual on their retirement plans. We are providing detailed information in the form of a retirement packet that will guide you through the process. Each school will be forwarded a copy to duplicate as needed.
The Retirement Systems Division will continue to conduct retirement conferences for employees in the Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System and the Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System in locations throughout the State. The conferences serve as an orientation for new employees and as planning sessions for employees closer to retirement age.
Please visit the N.C. Teachers and State Employees Retirement System website to learn more about the benefits that are available to you:
- Estimate your monthly retirement benefits by using the Retirement Estimator,(see Estimator Tips)
- Download and complete applications and forms used by the Retirement System, (see Application Tips)
- Form 2C - Notice of Change of Beneficiary (active members)
- Form 170 - Authorization Agreement for Direct Deposit (required)
- Form HM - Teachers' and State Employees' Comprehensive Major Medical Plan, Retired Group Enrollment/Change Application (Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System, Consolidated Judicial Retirement System, and Legislative Retirement System only)
- Form 309 - Requesting an Estimate of Service Retirement Benefits
Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement system
Department of State Treasurer
325 North Salisbury Street
Raleigh , NC 27603-1385
1-877-627-3287(toll-free outside of Raleigh area)
919-807-3050(within local calling distance of Raleigh
Due to the large volume of calls that the Retirement System receive in the Member Services Section, they recommend that you do not call during the following times:
- Other days between the hours of noon and 2:00 p.m., and
- The day following the mailing of monthly retirement checks.
If you believe that the nature of your inquiry will result in a lengthy conversation or will require research by the retirement staff, it is recommend that you submit your questions in writing and they will respond accordingly.
NOTE: The Retirement system provides members who wish to visit their office with one-on-one and group consultations by appointment only. Please call or e-mail their office to schedule an appointment 90 days prior to your planned retirement date.