Know your Teacher!Contact me at: email@example.com
My name is Vincent Pienaar. I am the AVID Elective teacher and the AVID Coordinator at SanLee Middle School!
I have 40 years of teaching experience on three different continents and I am married to Anriette Pienaar who is also a 6th Grade Teacher at SanLee Middle School.
Awards and other recognition
- SanLee Middle School Teacher of the Year 2018/2019
- Lee County Schools Teacher of the Year 2011/2012
- SanLee Middle School Teacher of the Year 2011/2012
- VIF International Teacher of the Year 2008
The AVID Elective is the core of the AVID Schoolwide System here at SanLee Middle school. It targets students with the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard.These are elite students who are capable of completing a rigorous curriculum with the support of the AVID Elective class. Our goal is to provide all AVID Elective students with the essential resources needed to be successful in rigorous courses and to promote an awareness of the significance of higher education, as well as the limitless opportunities for their futures. As an academic support elective, AVID seeks to prepare students for college eligibility and empowers them to strive for academic excellence.
The AVID Elective class places these students on the college track, requiring students to enroll in the most rigorous courses that are appropriate for them, such as Honors and Advanced Placement®.
To support them in the rigorous coursework, AVID students learn organizational and study skills, develop critical thinking, learn to ask probing questions, receive academic help from peers and college tutors, and participate in enrichment and motivational activities to make their college dreams reality.
In the AVID elective class, students are educated on the innumerable skills required to achieve academic success. Students receive daily instruction in Focused note-taking, time management, organization, reading, writing, and study skills, and receive additional support twice a week through collaborative tutorial groups with peers and AVID-trained tutors.
Students also learn about colleges and universities (the application and financial aid processes) through college field trips and are encouraged to explore career opportunities through curriculum, research, and guest speakers. AVID is offered to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students.
*Students need to apply and be accepted to this program.
Characteristics of an AVID Student
- GPA of 2.5 and higher
- Score a high-level 3, 4 or 5 on EOG Reading and Math
- No attendance or discipline problems
- Are willing to devote themselves to a minimum of one hour of homework each night
- Are willing to commit to enrollment in rigorous college preparatory sequence of courses
- Desire to attend a four year college or university
- Voluntarily decision by the student
- Complete an application and be accepted to this program
The AVID Elective @ SLMS
SanLee Middle School is dedicated to preparing all students for college and career readiness. The purpose of the AVID elective class is to empower all students to maximize their individual potential, by teaching them various strategies to implement, in order to be successful in rigorous coursework and future endeavors. Our objective is to encourage all students to set goals and to be confident in their ability to achieve those ambitions. Students are taught academic vocabulary, using critical thinking skills, engaging in collaborative tutorials, attending college field trips, listening to guest speakers, taking Cornell notes, and implementing various WICOR (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading) strategies.
Recommendation of a 3 year commitment in AVID
Participation in tutorials, collaborative groups, field trips, Socratic seminars, philosophical chairs, and motivational activities
Maintain satisfactory attendance and citizenship in all classes
Display positive, respectful behavior in all classes
Maintain the digital AVID binder with Focused notes in all classes
Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher
Signed AVID Contract
Enroll in rigorous classes (to include advanced, honor, and AP as applicable)
SanLee Middle School is one of only 2% of all schools in the USA that achieved the National Demonstration Schools status.
National Demonstration Schools undergo a rigorous validation process and are required to be revalidated every few years to ensure high levels of implementation, with quality and fidelity to AVID strategies schoolwide. We are up for re evaluation next school year 2021/2022
At an AVID National Demonstration School, visitors can observe during AVID showcases:
- AVID as a schoolwide approach to college readiness
- Evidence of student achievement schoolwide
- Strong and committed leadership to college readiness for all students at both school and district levels
- A center of learning for AVID best practices schoolwide
- A committed team of trained AVID educators dedicated to successful implementation of the AVID College - Readiness System for all students
- Models for excellent inquiry-based AVID tutorials—both in the AVID Elective and, in some schools,
selected content classrooms
- A showplace of the commitment and synergy that a strong AVID System creates for schoolwide college
- AVID National Demonstration Schools are exemplary models of the AVID College Readiness System.
The AVID Elective students are also leaders and will typically be used for :
- Daily announcements,
- AVID demonstration videos,
- Greeters/runners during our AVID showcase,
- Leaders during 5th Grade tours
- Promoters of the AVID Elective program
- Members of panel discussions for AVID showcase.
- Interviewees for the AVID program at SLMS
- They will play a pivotal role in all things AVID
AVID Elective students must be prime examples in class for :
- Socratic seminars
- Philosophical Chairs and any other AVID strategy
- Must be an example of an exemplary student