Phone: 919-718-2400, ext. 2183
Degrees and Certifications:
NC. Professional Educator's License NCCER Certified Craft Instructor and Curriculum Proctor NCCER Certified Curriculum Performance Evaluator NC Licensed General Building Contractor, (non-renewed 2015) BS. Construction Management AAS. Construction Technologies
Mr. Dennis Regan
TEACHER -- Construction Core course
I'm a lateral-entry teacher with 25 years of experience in carpentry, residential, and commercial construction management.
Before moving to North Carolina I held construction Quality Control and Project Manager positions working for a midsized construction contractor. In 2000, we moved to North Carolina and prior to teaching, I earned an NC General Building License and managed my building contracting company in Moore County for 13 years.
I'm looking forward to this, my 9th year of teaching at Southern Lee, and I'm excited about working with my 2021-2022 students.
Together, we'll develop new tool use and carpentry skills. We'll explore the real-world application of communication, and problem-solving skills which are essential to all employers looking for new skilled hires. Good luck this year and do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions or concerns.
Construction Core is a CTE introductory course for the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) curriculum-area programs in Lee County Schools. At Southern Lee, Core is the prerequisite course for the Carpentry program.
Students that successfully complete this course can earn a nationally recognized, CTE Core credential which is a significant enhancement to their high school diploma upon graduation.
The instructional modules covered in the course include:
- Basic Safety
- Construction Applied Mathematics
- Introduction to Hand Tools
- Introduction to Power Tools
- Intro. to Construction Drawings
- Material Handling Procedures
- Basic Communication Skills
- Basic Employability Skills
- OSHA 10-hour Construction Safety Certification Course
NC CTE curriculum and essential standards: Link below
OSHA 10-hour Construction Training Course
The OSHA 10 Hour Construction Industry Training Program is intended to provide an entry-level construction worker’s general awareness on recognizing and preventing hazards on a construction site.
The Outreach Training Program promotes workplace safety and health and makes workers more knowledgeable about workplace hazards and their rights. This program provides construction worker training on the recognition, avoidance, abatement, and prevention of workplace hazards. This training module also provides an overview of information regarding OSHA, including workers' rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint.
- Promotes safety culture through peer training
- The training is delivered as a blended format with content delivered online and discussed and demonstrated F2F
- Training is both self-paced and participatory, so trainees participate in hands-on activities that illustrate and reinforce the online content
- The training content includes hazard recognition and avoidance, workers' rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint; it emphasizes the value of safety and health to workers, including young workers