Family and consumer science teachers teach students how to manage a home.
We teach topics that include nutrition, menu planning, food preparation, clothing care and construction, money management, grooming, consumer awareness, and child development.
Classes offered (tentative):
- Apparel and Textile Production 1 and 2
- Child Development
- Culinary Arts and Hospitality 1 and 2
- Early Childhood Education
- Exploring Family & Consumer Sciences
- Fashion Merchandising
- Food and Nutrition 1 and 2
- Introduction to Culinary Arts
- Interior Design 1 and 2
- Personal Finance
- Principles of Family and Human Services
Principles of Family and Human Services
Students learn life literacy skills and individual, family, and community systems in the context of the human services field. Emphasis is placed on human development, professional skills, diversity, analyzing community issues, and life management. Activities engage students in exploring various helping professions, while building essential life skills they can apply in their own lives to achieve optimal wellbeing. English/language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, technology, interpersonal relationships are reinforced. Work-based learning strategies appropriate for this course include service learning and job shadowing. Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) competitive events, community service, and leadership activities provide the opportunity to apply essential standards and workplace readiness skills through authentic experiences.
NEEDS AND RESOURCES
None. Introductory course.
To successfully complete this course, you will need:
- Writing utensils
- Colored Pencils
- Notebook or binder to keep class work organized
- 300- 3x5 index cards
- Planner that is provided by Ms. Adams
- Computer and charger (Provided by school)
- Proper clothing- we will have professional clothing days, attire needs to be school appropriate and professional. You will also need the proper clothing when we are in lab.
If you are feeling generous and want to help the class as a whole, these items are always appreciated.
-Pencils, Pens, Colored Pencils, Markers, Lined Paper, Index Cards, Highlighters, Glue Sticks, Erasers