J. Glenn Edwards School adheres to the philosophy that the school counseling program
is an essential component of the overall education process. This comprehensive program is
a specialized curriculum built on the assumption that all students will have the opportunity
to succeed when provided educational, career and personal guidance. When fully implemented,
this program will reach the needs of 100 percent of the student population. The curriculum is
designed to be integrated with the academic curriculum taught by teachers and counselors; and
supported by staff, parents and the community.
The counseling program at J. Glenn Edwards Elementary School is designed to meet the needs
of each individual child by promoting the development of academic, career, personal and social
skills. The mission of the School Counselor is to provide a comprehensive guidance program which will assist all students in acquiring the skills, knowledge and attitudes needed to become effective students, responsible citizens and productive workers. It is the hope of the School Counselor that each individual will grow academically, as well as, socially with high expectations that each student will become positive individuals of great character and leadership.
To implement the school counseling program at J. Glenn Edwards Elementary School, the counselor is
committed to the following:
- All students have the right to be served by the school counseling program.
- All students deserve an opportunity to learn and feel safe.
- All students can achieve if provided the proper educational and parental support.
- All students should have access to the school counselor to discuss personal concerns.
- All students should have the right to assistance in identifying their needs in
- the personal/social domain.
- All students have dignity and worth.
- All students have the right to participate in the school counseling program
- regardless of cultural, special needs or racial differences.