Given the state’s current guidelines and recommendations associated with COVID-19, traditional high school graduation ceremonies for Lee County Schools have been postponed until August. Until we can safely conduct these traditional ceremonies, we think it is important to recognize the accomplishments of the Class of 2020 by distributing diplomas and providing a small, intimate celebration for each of our graduates. Each high school within the district will host a diploma pickup “drive-thru” in the coming weeks. Specific directions such as dates and times will be communicated by each school. Each school will have a stage set up and graduates should wear their caps and gowns. Graduates will be allowed to bring a small number of family and/or friends who will be given an opportunity to watch them walk across the stage and take photos. All graduates and their families must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Each graduate is allowed one (1) vehicle.
- Each graduate is allowed to bring up to five (5) people in their vehicle.
- Each graduate and their guest(s) must all arrive and depart in the same vehicle.
- No large vehicles such as buses, church vans/buses, or trailers will be allowed. Only cars, trucks, SUVs and family vans will be allowed. No persons will be allowed to ride in the bed of a truck.
- All occupants must remain inside their vehicle until instructed by law enforcement to exit the vehicle for photos. Each school will have a designated area where family and friends should stand to view the stage and/or take photos.
- To accommodate the entire Class of 2020, graduates and their guests will be allowed up to five (5) minutes to remain out of their vehicle to take photos in designated areas.
- Once graduates have received their diplomas and have taken photos, law enforcement will direct families to the exit.
- Each school will communicate specific traffic patterns and directions that should be followed on their school campus.
- Any graduate with transportation concerns should contact his/her school prior to their assigned date.
Next week, each high school will share information regarding dates, times, traffic patterns, etc. for the diploma “drive thru” celebration. Please continue to check school websites and social media for updates.
It is our hope that during this time of uncertainty, one of the few things we can say for sure is how proud we are of the Class of 2020. Through our many discussions with senior class officers over the last few weeks, the maturity, clarity and intellect observed is reassuring that our future is bright. We look forward to uniquely celebrating each graduating senior over the coming weeks with hopes of bringing families, friends and the Class of 2020 back together in August for a much deserved traditional graduation ceremony.