For families who are interested in learning more about our newest elementary school, W.B. Wicker Elementary, three information sessions with W.B. Wicker Principal Wendy Carlyle and Superintendent Andy Bryan will be held during the month of February:
- February 13 - East Lee Middle School, 6 p.m.
- February 18 - SanLee Middle School, 6 p.m.
- February 21 - West Lee Middle School, 6 p.m.
The Q&A sessions will provide more information on the following topics:
- School population: The functional capacity of W.B. Wicker is approximately 825 students, which will include approximately 637 students within the attendance zone, along with about 188 students who choose to attend the school.
- Lottery process: Families outside the attendance zone may apply for enrollment at the school through a lottery process. W.B. Wicker and Tramway Elementary will follow the same lottery process. The application period will run from February 19-March 5, with the lottery to be held on March 19.
- STEAM curriculum: W.B. Wicker will be the district’s first STEAM school, which means the school will have a heavy focus on science, technology, engineering, arts and math. For example, the school will have two makerspaces with 3-D printers, a dance studio, outdoor classrooms, etc.
- Pre-Kindergarten: W.B. Wicker has pre-K slots (two classrooms) available for Lee County residents through the Partnership for Children’s NC Pre-K program.
- Transportation: All students living within the W.B. Wicker attendance zone will be bused to and from the school. Transportation will not be provided for lottery students.
- School Safety: The W.B. Wicker campus is completely fenced with guard stations controlling access onto the grounds. As with our other school buildings, access into the school buildings is controlled by a buzzer system.
For more information, visit our W.B. Wicker Elementary School page at WBWickerElementary.info.