Phone: 919-718-2400, ext. 2183
Degrees and Certifications:
BS. Construction Management AAS. Construction Technologies NC Licensed General Building Contractor, (non-renewed 2015)
Mr. Dennis Regan
TEACHER -- Construction Core Course
I'm a lateral-entry teacher with 25 years of experience in carpentry, commercial, and residential construction. This is my 3rd career. Prior to teaching, I was a construction Project Manager of 12 years working for a commercial contractor. I left that position and moved to Moore County starting a business and was a licensed Building Contractor locally for 13 years.
I'm looking forward to this, my 8th year of teaching at Southern Lee, and excited about working with my 2020-2021 students. Together, we'll learn and develop tool use, carpentry skills, real-world application of communication, and problem-solving skills that are essential to all employers looking for new skilled hires.
Construction Core is a CTE introductory course for the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) curriculum-area programs in Lee County Schools. At Southern Lee, Core is the prerequisite course for the Carpentry program.
Students that successfully complete this course can earn a nationally recognized, CTE core credential which is a significant enhancement to their high school diploma upon graduation.
The instructional modules covered in the course include:
- Basic Safety
- Construction Applied Mathematics
- Introduction to Hand Tools
- Introduction to Power Tools
- Intro. to Construction Drawings
- Material Handling Procedures
- Basic Communication Skills
- Basic Employability Skills
- OSHA 10-hour Construction Safety Certification Course
NC CTE curriculum and essential standards: Link below
OSHA 10-hour Construction Training Course
The OSHA 10 Hour Construction Industry Training Program is intended to provide an entry-level construction worker’s general awareness on recognizing and preventing hazards on a construction site.
The Outreach Training Program promotes workplace safety and health and makes workers more knowledgeable about workplace hazards and their rights. This program provides construction worker training on the recognition, avoidance, abatement, and prevention of workplace hazards. This training module also provides an overview of information regarding OSHA, including workers' rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint.
- Promotes safety culture through peer training
- The training is delivered as a blended format with content delivered online and discussed and demonstrated F2F
- Training is both self-paced and participatory, so trainees participate in hands-on activities that illustrate and reinforce the online content
- The training content includes hazard recognition and avoidance, workers' rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint; it emphasizes the value of safety and health to workers, including young workers