Need a Work Permit (Youth Employment Certificate)?
    Click the image above for step-by-step instructions.
    • You don't need a Work Permit to apply for a job.  You need a work permit once you have a firm offer.  The permit should be completed online, and must be signed by the youth, the parent, and the employer in order to be valid.
    • Youths under 18 years of age must obtain a youth employment certificate (work permit) when employed, even if they are employed by their parents.
    • Sixteen- and 17-year-olds may be employed in any occupation other than those declared hazardous or detrimental.
    • No youth under 18 years of age who is enrolled in school in grades 12 or lower may be employed between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. when there is school for the youth the next day.  
    • Sixteen- and 17-year-old youths may get the hour restriction waived upon written permission from the parent/guardian and from the youth's principal/designee.
    • Youth 14 and 15 years of age may be employed outside school hours in a variety of non-manufacturing and non-hazardous/non-detrimental jobs for limited periods of time and under specified conditions.
    • Children under 14 years of age may not be employed in non-agricultural occupations, except for minor chores around private homes or casual babysitting.   Children are allowed to work in areas that are exempt from the FLSA and WHA (such as actors or performers in motion pictures, theatrical, radio or television productions).
    More information may be found at