Hi!My name is Cheryl Ashley. I graduated summa cum laude from St. Andrews Presbyterian College in December, 1999 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Elementary Education. I also have an Associate Degree (Teacher Associate/Reading Option) from Central Carolina Community College. Prior to becoming the teacher that I always wanted to be I kept children at my home, taught preschool, and worked in secretarial/payroll positions. (One look at my desk will tell you why secretarial work was not for me - I am not good at filing!) The truth is that in my heart I have been a teacher since I was 8 years old. It just took me a while to get here.I graduated from Deep River High School the last year it was a K - 12 school. Now if you are from around here that tells you how old I am ---- and how lucky!! It was a wonderful school then and it is a wonderful school now. I have a son who attended Deep River and a grandson who did as well. So I guess you could say that I not only have roots here, but I have DEEP roots here!In education, teachers are sometimes asked about their teaching philosophy. I have found that parts of mine seem to change as students change and situations and the field of education itself changes. But there are some things that remain the same:
- I believe that all children deserve be nurtured, loved, and respected.
- I believe that in order to motivate my students to want to learn, I have to continue to be a learner myself.
- I believe that children truly do want to do well, and when faced with reasonable and high expectations they will try do meet them and so I set goals that are high but attainable.
- I believe that parents are a child's first and most important teachers and that children respond well when they know that parents and teachers work together.
- I believe that to be my most effective and successful as a teacher I have to thoroughly know the curriculum I am teaching, stay abreast of current research, and use all the data available to me to direct my teaching.
Sooooooo.........now you know a bit about me. Please feel free to get in touch if you have a question or concern. I am at school usually until I get kicked out (around 5 pm). You can call school - 919-776-2722. If it is before 2:30, you will probably be asked to leave a voicemail so as not to interupt instruction. Thanks!